Sunday, April 10, 2011

Tonga, Pizza, and Studio

Kia Ora! So Monday started the week out with a bang. Mary, Nicole, and I finally booked our trip to Tonga for the second week in June. We've been waiting for tickets to drop in price and suddenly there was a deal that expired that night. So we booked them that night. Jess, Nicole, and I also started making a list of things we want to do in Australia next week. We leave a week from today, and I am so freakin excited. Jess' grandparents have family friends there, so we'll be staying with them. They sound really great and have some stuff planned for us.

So most of the week was spent in studio as my project was due today. I had really been slacking in the school work so it had all caught up to me, and I spent just about every night in studio. Somehow I managed to finish before everyone else though. But this was definitely not my best work which might have had something to do with it. I also had a test in Peopling of Polynesia on Thursday, which meant squeezing in study time amongst studio. I took a short break on Wednesday for quiz night. It was supposed to be with our Vic buddies, but mine was unable to make it, but I went anyways as there was free pizza. I will never pass up free food. Plus it was a fun night with fun people. This brings me to how many times I had pizza this past week. Three times. Monday night of course was the typical pizza night, and then there was free pizza on Wednesday, and then on Thursday I had planned on getting fish and chips from the place around the corner from studio, but a girl from studio had Hell's Pizza, and it sounded really good. So I went on their website to see if there was anything I really wanted, and well there most definitely was. I put my own pizza together topped with BBQ sauce, chicken, cream cheese, and black olives. It was freaking fantastic.

Mary shared a fun fact with me; Kelburn, the neighborhood I live in, is the windiest place in the country. So cool. Not. It sucks, but the wind dies down when you get off the hill.

Thursday brought some scary news. Tess, one of the girls downstairs, had a classmate in her chemistry paper die the night before. Apparently she had meningitis. She thought she just had a bad cold, and then realized something was happening and quickly went to the hospital where she shortly died. Super scary. So glad I had to get a meningitis shot before college.

With working so quickly on studio, I was able to take Friday night off and hang out with the girls. Friday is quickly turning into the routine of coming to my place, watching Glee, then a movie, with a lot of talking and laughing in between. I even got to take Saturday night off because I finished my project by early evening. Woo hoo! Nicole and I spent the night running downtown to grab some ice cream and wine before the cable car closed, and then coming back up to the house to watch Sex and the City.

Sunday consisted of lunch down at Wholly Bagels and some shopping around town. I did a lot of souvenir shopping that I had been slacking on. I then got a little bit of work done in studio and spent the night reading, watching a movie with my flat mates, and just having some awesome girl time with them.

I had to get up extra early this morning to get down to the printers to pick up my project. Vic unfortunately doesn't have their own large plotters. This also means you have to pay out the butt for your projects. Three A1 sheets cost me $60. At home it would have been about half the price. But crits were pretty laid back, and mine went pretty well. Although Martin likes to discuss the problems he has with a project rather than what he likes. Apparently I had a very interesting strategy and innovation, but I just wasn't selling it to him. It went a lot better than I thought considering the amount of work I put into it.

I also had a mid crit for Colour, Pattern, & Light, which went pretty well except for my teacher telling me I needed cool colours in my composition. I told her I disagreed and that I purposely did not use cool colours. There was a lot of laughing from the class and a "you go girl".

Well I'm off to pizza with the girls.  Until next time...

Kia Ora,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment