Thursday, March 10, 2011

Bagels, Class, and Rain

Kia Ora! So this weekend was kind of rainy and crappy, but that never keeps us from having fun. Mary and I headed down to the waterfront for a jewelry and accessories sale. Except we got there and it was kind of a bust. There was really nothing there. We didn't even look at anything. Oh well. We ended up walking quite a bit of the waterfront until we hit a residential area and decided to turn back. We wandered around some more to find lunch. We decided on Wholly Bagels. So good. And Mary has this obsession with bagels. She'll pretty much eat them anytime. I don't even have to ask her if she wants one. Anyways, had an awesome sandwich there. Jalapeno and cheddar bagel with ham and garlic and herb schmear. We continued the day with some shopping. Our plan for the night was to drink at home and then head out into the city. We were going to go to this bar called Alice. It is sort of based off Alice in Wonderland. I dropped in one time to find some of my friends with this awesome drink. No idea what it was, but it was a big bottle filled with fruit and some delicious sort of liquid. It was relatively cheap as well, which is why we really wanted to go. Although Mary was very much intrigued by the idea of drinking alcohol out of a teacup. But nonetheless it ended up pouring, so we continued to drink our Vodka Cruisers at home. Of course the night was filled with laughing anyways.

Sunday is usually our day for the market. We decided not to go because of the rain, but I woke up to a text from Nicole asking me to go anyways. So we trekked down in a bit of a drizzle, and then grabbed lunch at Wholly Bagels again. Yeah I know, twice in one weekend is a lot, but who cares. It is too good to care.

This past week has been pretty quiet. I haven't had much homework yet, which is soooo weird. I actually haven't been able to hang out with some people because they have homework, and I don't. I don't think that's ever happened to be since I started college. So for studio, I picked the Memorial Park site partly because I never made it out to Petone this past weekend, and partly because I like the site better. Mary walked around Memorial with me on Saturday, but I wasn't really sure what Memorial consists of because its not really a park, more of a neighborhood I guess. So we wandered around. Later I found out I was in fact in the right area, and its up to me to decide what the site boundaries are.

Colour, Pattern, & Light is still strange, but talking with the professor one on one, it is much easier to understand her. Although she told us she would be gone this Friday, I guess that's today, and all of next week. She then proceeded to tell us something about going to City Gallery on Tuesday. No idea what was going on, so I asked her later. I still have no idea what's going on. She said I can go to the gallery, or I could come to class. But I have to sign in at class, so I think I have to be there, at least for five minutes anyways. Who knows. She's nuts.

As for Peopling of Polynesia, I still don't have a tutorial that will work with my schedule, and he hasn't made a comment to me about what to do, because he definitely did not make an extra tutorial. It would be fantastic if I didn't have to go. Speaking of tutorials, my Intro to Practice and Management tutorial, not so great. We had to figure out how many weeks a project would take with all the tasks involved. Had I had a computer program or more time or something I could have done it, but she gave us this stupid work sheet to do it on, and there was no way any of us were figuring it out. It was way to complicated for that little work sheet. And the tutor really didn't feel like helping us out. She showed us the completed work sheet at the end. Absolutely no idea how it was done.

Some random things: The other night walking out of the grocery store, a group of young guys walked past us and said, "Hello New Zealand girls." Apparently we look Kiwi. Although they were probably foreign and assumed everyone here is a Kiwi.

The other day Mary and I were eating a crepe, and a couple came up and asked us for directions. Surprise surprise. We seem to be the direction queens, or at least people seem to think so. This time I actually knew what to tell them. Or so I thought. As we walked away a few minutes later, I realized I told them to turn the wrong way. Man I really thought I knew what I was talking about. Although the place they were looking for wasn't far down the road, so maybe they found it anyways.

I'm pretty sure every girl in this country must own at least five pairs of tights. They wear them with everything. Dresses, skirts, shorts, heels, tennies, jandals. I feel like I need to buy some. And there are a lot of girls here who dress up for class, and I mean dress up. Like going out or party dresses. Its nuts. I guess its an excuse to wear something you don't wear very often otherwise.

Toilet Issues: Ok so to flush the toilet here, most of the toilet have a button like you push. Typically, you have two options: half a flush or full flush depending on what you did. These are super easy to use, and then I came across the first stall on the second floor of Te Aro. It has this crazy handle thing that I have no idea what to do with. I have turned it every which way possible, and it only gives me about a quarter of a flush. Not helpful. None of the other toilets have this weird thing. Needless to say, I try not to use that one if at all possible.

Last note: This weekend Mary, Nicole, Devon, Emmi, and I are renting a car and heading to the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. It is in the Tongariro National Park, and is supposed to be in the top ten day trips in the entire world. It is 17km and takes anywhere from 7-9 hours. And I don't think there are trees anywhere. Should be interesting. But we're all super excited. I'll be sure to update when I get back. If anybody wants to check it out ahead of time here's the link.
http://www.nationalpark.co.nz/tongariro-alpine-crossing/tongariro-alpine-crossing

Wish me luck, until next time...

Kia Ora,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment