Saturday, March 26, 2011

Pickles, Cheese, and Heavy Breathing

Kia Ora! Wednesday nights have become another sort of date night with Mary, Nicole, and myself. We usually don't get to see each other on Tuesdays, so on Wednesday's we head downtown to get crepes and/or gelato. I always get the nutella crepe, but I've been eying the pickles and cheese one. Sounds disgusting I know, but I actually really like pickles and cheese together. Plus the menu says its the most recommended. So I finally ordered it, and then I see the crepe maker put some sort of nasty looking mix of pickles, goo, and some other crap onto my crepe. My heart dropped, and I am now very nervous to eat this thing. So we grabbed a bench, I dug in and almost threw up. I took one bite, asked if anyone else wanted to try it (of course everyone said no), and then promptly threw it away. I then headed to a Fix (convenience store) to grab some ice cream as I'm not so impressed with the gelato here, although Mary is obsessed. However, they have the best ice cream bars here. My favorites have vanilla ice cream covered in either caramel or this raspberry goo and then chocolate.

Thursday brought an interesting day in studio. We were told to bring any materials we had lying around and some tools. Of course I have neither. At home, I have heaps of all that stuff, but I didn't really feel like packing all that. As there are two different sites for studio, we were going to build a quick model of both sites.  We did a little bit of topography, since its a huge factor on the site I'm doing, and then we built up all the buildings. Martin, my professor, wanted us to play around with the buildings and show him what what we wanted to knock down and how we wanted to build up the area with new buildings, and of course any other ideas we have. I felt pretty useless during the model building without tools. Once I got my hands on some scissors, a girl from the other group begged to use them since almost nobody had brought any tools in their group. So there I stood watching everyone else work and feeling stupid. Side note: What we call exacto knives they call scalpels. I felt like I was in the middle of doing surgery on my site. Kiwis also say the word idea with an r. It is more like idear, and well it sort of drives me crazy, but I'm getting used to it since I hear it so much.

Friday I had a mid crit for Colour, Pattern, & Light. This paper makes me feel like a semi stupid yet intelligent five-year old. I have a hard time with the abstract stuff, and what I think is right isn't always right because I just don't get it. Part of the assignment was to analyze a painting and then create two compositions from that painting with two of the same colours. I had a lot of stuff going on in mine, and the tutors told me it was too much and that I needed to simplify it. So one of them basically told me what I could do, so I went with it. I wasn't super happy with how they turned out, but it was something, and by this time I was just frustrated. So during mid crits, I realize what I now have is all wrong, and I should have stayed with my originals. I am dreading going up to present because I know she's going to hate them. I could see on the slide show that mine  was next, so I get up and walk half way across the room, and then she skips me! I'm sort of annoyed yet completely relieved. Maybe she thought mine was that bad, she didn't even want the class to see it. But we never made it through all of them anyways. It hit 3:30 and I left with others following suit.

Friday night seemed to last forever. It probably didn't help that Erica, Jen, and I ordered dinner really early, so it felt like the night dragged on. But then Theresa came upstairs by us and we all just hung out for a while and had some fun before going out for the night. We had some fun at Boogie Wonderland where the 70s will never die. The best moment of the night was after we had split ways, and Mary, Nicole, and I are walking down Cuba, and this man stops on the street off to the side of Mary and starts running his hands up and down his legs while heavily breathing and staring at Mary. Probably one of those moments you had to be there for but I don't know how Nicole and I didn't pee our pants from laughing so hard.



After we got back I met up with you guessed it, Mary and Nicole, to do a bit of shopping and to see a movie. Surprisingly enough it was a New Zealand movie. Most everything here from movies, tv, and music is American because NZ doesn't have the money to support it all. We then did some grocery shopping, and had no idea what to do with ourselves for the rest of the night. Mary suggested we go back to her place and watch some Sex and the City and eat our tim tams. (Tim Tams are like NZ's most popular cookie. They are amazing.) We quickly agreed to this idea. Time flew by between watching episodes and laughing hysterically at stories. Before we knew it, it was 2:00 am, and Nicole was falling asleep.

Today, we're heading to Zealandia. I'm not exactly sure what it is. Something to do with nature and animals. I'll be back to blog about it later. Until next time...

Kia Ora,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment